My Pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepshuk2k/

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Arranged Marriage ...still exists?

As you grow older ..you start thinking about your career, your life, you future..as a matter of fact you start making your own decision. Decisions which might change your future, like what should I make my career of? which city should I move? which college should I attend? Most of these decisions are made by you, based on the past experience you have had and your own liking. But there is one decision probably the most important in ones life which is not taken by you, at least from where I come from, but by your parents and that is marriage. That is arranged marriage, believe it or not there still exists a country where majority of marriages are still fixed by their parents. So why do people still do it and above all why are educated and modern youths still give in, obviously their numbers are decreasing. I am a strong proponent for arranged marriage, because I have seen it work, does it make me a traditionalist or conservative? may be. But the fact is just because something which is traditional doesnt mean that it is an anemia to growth of society. I have seen both societies (Indian and Western) and have tried to learn the differences which exist in pairing of individuals and have figured that what make bonds of marriage last are, when expectations that exist about our partners, have to be compromised inorder to fulfill the demands that society lays upon us to make marriage work, can make a more stronger marriage. Imagine meeting your potential for a matter of few minutes and making your judgments about them with just a few questions. It might terrify the living hell out of people. To top that the pressures that your parents and elders exert on an answer from you so that they can fix a date for marriage as soon as you say ya. But what makes me so confident in this blind faith, that just a pic and background troddles an entourage of relatives to the girls door. Faith that ones parent makes a right decision about their child, faith that their knowledge of world and people have led their quest to this family in first place. Grapevines that have been so trusted and tested before have given them the right information to take such a decision. It might just be inconceivable to western society that such a society exists. society where in the only dates before the marriage are the subtle twisting of social events to facilitate few hours of togetherness. The only live-ins are family holidays which two family might undertake before the main event. After all as it is said in indian culture, 'Marriage is a meeting of two families' rather then two individual'

2 comments:

jacheree said...

You have some good points. I would probably never be able to be okay with an arranged marriage because I have grown up having so much freedom and independence... though I do trust my parents' judgement... :-)

Good post!

Casually Inebriated said...

I don't trust my parents but understand society's need for the bonds developed by long-term thinking of families mating their children.

I hope she's hot and knows the kama sutra inside and out for your sake

;)